What is a Mud Mask?
Let’s first go over the basic definition of “mud mask,” as many people are confused regarding the term. While there are dozens of different types of mud masks available, most of the contain a variety of natural ingredients like cocoa butter and aloe vera, all of which is combined to create a past-like compound that’s applied to the skin (usually the face). The mask is left in place for a given period of time, at which point it begins to harden to form a shell. When the mask is removed, the skin underneath will feel softer and more refined.
Are Mud Masks Good For Your Skin? The Benefits Are Endless
Who in their right mind would think that mud would have any benefit to skin what so ever? Yes, pigs wallow in it, but maybe they are on to something. Surprisingly, there are more advantages that mud or mud like products can have on your pores.
The minerals in mud are highly effective for absorbing oil and for toning the skin. Mud is often used to detoxify and tone skin and is used as an anti-inflammatory agent for skin disorders. Mud commonly contains nutrients, trace elements and various minerals that the body can absorb quickly. Some other benefits of mud include: reduces signs of aging, improves circulation, shrinks large pores, rinses away blackheads and helps clear acne. Although natural mud masques are not ideal for exfoliation, they are very beneficial to those who suffer from acne or oily skin. The mud particles absorb oils from deep within the pores as they dry trapping oil in the mud. However, the mud will draw out some moisture as it dries so it is recommended that a follow up moisturizer is applied.
To fully obtain all of the benefits of a facial mud masque there are certain things that you should do in order to prepare. Begin with a gentle cleansing face wash that will clear any make up or debris from your skin. After you cleanse your face, apply the face mask and allow it to dry for at least fifteen minutes. Rinse the masque off with warm water and a wash cloth. To finish this process, use an exfoliating face scrub followed by a moisturizer so your face will not be over dried.
“Luxury. Comfort. Relaxation.” These are some of the words that come to mind when you think “mud mask.” Whether it’s for a spa night or to wind down after a long day, mud masks are always a go to item when you think of high end relaxation and comfort. Here are 5 benefits of including the use of mud masks in your daily or weekly skin routine.
- Cleansing. Mud masks have great absorption properties. As they dry on the face, they absorb and suck up dirt and oil that may have gathered in small cellular crevices throughout the day. When used daily or every other day, they can even draw up impurities that are buried in the deeper layers of the skin and prevent future blemishes from forming. With all this absorption going on, they can and probably will leave your face slightly on the drier side, so make sure to follow up with a toner and moisturizer!
- Exfoliation. Mud masks are usually made with some type of clay base whether it be bentonite, kaolin, white, rose, etc. Clays in the mud masks naturally exfoliate dead skin cells when the mask is washed off, although the levels may vary. Exfoliation of dead skin cells leaves the skin glowing, radiant, and smooth for you to show off! So if you are going mud mask, don’t go for those peel off ones but get the full benefits with a natural mud that you can wash off.
- Nutrients. If you are going to use a mud mask, you might as use one that is natural. I mean, the name has “mud” in it so why even go for something that is synthetically made? Natural mud masks provides numerous amounts of nutrients and minerals to your skin that your cells can utilize to stay healthy.
- Detox. Although levels may vary depending on what type of clay is used and how much clay is in the mud mask, all mud masks with a natural clay base will have a detox property. A mask with bentonite will provide you with the most detox. Who doesn’t like a little detox on the face!
- Skin tightening. As a mud mask dries on your skin, it tightens your skin as it removes the unnecessary oils and impurities. When followed up correctly with a toner and moisturizer, it can keep your skin looking tighter in a nice toned looking way. Who doesn’t want their skin looking youthful?