What is Massage Therapy?
A massage is performed by a trained and licensed professional that practices the manual, or hands-on, movement of soft body tissues to enhance a person’s well-being. People seek massage therapy for various reasons—including to relax muscles, rehabilitate injuries, pain reduction, stress reduction and anxiety, and promote overall health and wellness.
There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
- Swedish massage. This is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to help relax and energize you.
- Deep massage. This massage technique uses slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
- Sports massage. This is similar to Swedish massage, but it’s geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
- Trigger point massage. This massage focuses on areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse.
The 10 most common benefits reported from massage therapy:
- Stress Reduction
- Improve Circulation
- Pain Reduction
- Eliminate Toxins
- Improve Your Flexibility
- Improve Sleep
- Enhance Immunity
- Combats Fatigue
- Alleviates Anxiety and Depression
- Reduce post-surgery and post-injury swelling
Benefits of massage
Massage is generally considered part of complementary and integrative medicine. It’s increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations.
Studies of the benefits of massage demonstrate that it is an effective treatment for reducing stress, pain and muscle tension.
While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage may also be helpful for:
- Digestive disorders
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
Increase the benefits of #selfcare with frequent massage visits.
The benefits of massage are compounded when massage is utilized as a frequent therapy.
Making massage a form of regularly scheduled self-care can play a huge part in how healthy you’ll be and how youthful you’ll remain with each passing year. Budgeting time and money for bodywork at consistent intervals is an investment in your health.
Consider massage sessions a necessary part of your health and wellness plan, work with your therapist to establish a treatment schedule that meets your needs.
Here at Soma Novo we make it easy to book your massage appointment. If you are looking to find a time that works best for you check out our online booking to browse a list of service providers and time that works best for you. If you have any questions or would like to call to book an appointment feel free to call us anytime. We would be more than happy to help schedule a time for you.